Wow. That was a LOT of flying. A lot. Hardly had I made it home from Christmas than I was back on a plane to pay my respects to my sweet Grandpa Cahoon. He had been sick for a while...nearly 100 years old. I already had a plane ticket for his 100th birthday but he didn't make it. I haven't seen him in so long, but I know he knew I loved him. I made it for the viewing, arriving gross from the airplane and not at all dressed for the occasion but no one seemed to mind. My aunts had put together an amazing display of things from his life...they were going to use it at his party but they used it here instead. I didn't go and see him...I wasn't ready.
After the viewing I needed FOOD so many of my dear ones went with me to Applebys for some grub. There was lots of laughing which I needed.
The next morning was the funeral. It had snowed in the night but it was beautiful. We had a little practice of the song me, my sisters, and my girl cousins and cousin-in-laws were going to sing. I saw people I hadn't seen for such a long time. I said my last goodbye to Grandpa...he looked so peaceful. He had a good life. I know he had regrets...we all do. But he loved his family and I always felt his love and concern for me. My dad gave a beautiful eulogy and my aunt spoke. One of the leaders of my church, Elder Dalin Oaks also gave a talk about what he remembered about Grandpa. There was humor and respect and love. All of that mattered. It mattered that I got to sing for the people who came to honor him. I am so glad my parents and my Tommy made this possible for me. After the funeral we took these pictures. This is the church I spent most of my childhood going to.
We drove to the cemetery and waited. It was freezing cold. It was icy. It was a little terrifying to watch these men carry that casket...I was honestly afraid someone would fall. The honor guard saluted his flag draped casket and played Taps on the bugle. That was what really started my tears.
And then that part was over. It was time to go. We went to another church and had a delightful lunch Cafe Rio and sang Happy Birthday to Grandpa while the great-grandkids blew out 100 candles. I can't tell you how awesome that happy birthday was. From a family of singers we let it all out. It was a dream.
In the evening Corinne and I went and picked up Lis!! It was so great to be with her. I miss her SO MUCH. We ate delicious food and chatted at Meagan and Jon's lovely home. There was much laughing, again, a blessing.
In the morning I was lucky enough to visit M! I don't get to see her nearly enough and she was so fun. We had some cuddles and she sang some songs for me. It was so great.
In the afternoon it was bowling! I got to spend some quality time with Sarah and Bryce and my two darling nieces. Bowling isn't my speciality but it is still awesome.
Sunday morning I had to say goodbye to those cuties as they headed back to Las Vegas.
The rest of Sunday I spent with Chris, Adrienne, and Meagan. We went to Park City and visited the High West Distillery which had the most beautiful blue bottles I have ever seen. They just poured water with them but their lovely color made me happy every time I needed a water refill. We walked around Park City and had just a really great time to talk. I LOVE my people. Chris and I listened to music on the way home and sang our hearts out.
Then I was headed home again, back to my darling ones. I am so glad I got to come and say goodbye.
















No comments:
Post a Comment